#33 QPR (Home, 2009/2010)


I really really like QPR. I always had a soft spot for London clubs: Tottenham, Fulham, Millwall or obscure Dag & Red. QPR is no exception, but they're probably among my favourite clubs in European football. That's why I bought their home shirt a few months ago, even though I already owned an away shirt from a previous year. It'd make no sense to miss an oportunity to get such an awesome kit. I think hooped shirts are quite cool, and I always liked the blue-white choice (Reading, De Graafschap and so on). 

I was quite happy to see this one appearing for no more that £15 pounds, and as some friends also wanted to purchase a few shirts, I couldn't waste the chance. 


QPR made the frontpages a few times in the last couple of years - but not always for amazing reasons. Following many seasons in the Premier League, the Hoops were quickly relegated to the 3rd tier. As many clubs in that situation, the Londoners were facing a serious financial crisis, but in 2007 F1 millionaires Ecclestone and Briatore decided to buy the club. That didn't solve everything, though.

There's been some buzz around The Four Year Plan, a brilliant documentary that shows how things were going inside the club during the Briatore years. It's not out yet, but it was broadcasted on BBC and there was someone sharing it online. Anyway, buy it HERE, it's a must for every football fan out there. For my portuguese readers: Paulo Sousa is in it, and you immediatly understand he's a damn lousy manager. No wonder he's in Hungary now. The club was a mess anyway, Briatore seems completely ignorant and unaware of how things are when it comes to football and football fans. At some point he was completely mad because some supporters booed him (after QPR fired like 4 coaches in 2 seasons), and you can see him in the documentary asking other supporters to name the ones who booed him, otherwise he'd leave and the club would have no money. Priceless, go and watch it.

A great player, an awful coach.
QPR are now back in the Premier League, and despite having a decent squad (in my opinion), they're struggling to avoid relegation. With only 8 matches to go, they're still in the drop zone, so it's going to be a pretty tough mission. I hope they don't go down, but I'm not putting any money on that. 

Remember Akos Buszaky, the hungarian midfielder that had brief spells in Porto and Académica? Yeah, he's with QPR now. He actually went there a few seasons ago and now he's more of a backup for the midfield, but still interesting to see him in a Premier League club (as he didn't seem brilliant around here).

Oh exploitable.

And there he is, modelling my shirt. I like how the sponsor doesn't ruin it. Here you can already see their new logo, that replaced one created in the 80's. I was kind of used to it, so I'm not really sure if I like the new one. Marketing stuff.


And here's the old one:


I've got nothing much to say, so here's some final pictures:

I should have ironed it first.



The usual nice details: some text in the collar, some grey in the back. Somehow it gives the shirt a quite classy looke. I don't like the red Lotto logos on the sleeves, it's way too big.

UPDATE

I forgot to mention a few things. A few months ago, when I visited London, I pretty much stumbled upon QPR's ground, Lofts Road. It's quite cool to see a Stadium packed in the middle of many houses and other buildings, I guess they don't have any space left to expand it. Have a look:


Ver mapa maior


So, unless they demolish a few buildings, I really can't see how they can have a bigger stadium soon, unless they move somewhere else. I guess that'd be a shame: it's great to see a stadium right in the middle of a neighbourood.



I didn't manage to catch a Premier League match, but I did attend a England - Sweden match in Wembley. Great stadium, the atmosphere was ok, but the match itself was a bit boring.

A few weeks ago I was talking to a friend of mine about how great it'd be to travel around Europe on weekends to attend football matches in different countries. It'd be awesome. I wish I was a millionaire.

Francisco Ferreira

Journalist and football enthusiast. Born and raised in Porto, but ended up cheering the local minnows: Boavista FC. Football shirt collector, because it's a great to waste my money.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the 4 Year Plan. Very interesting indeed. Briatore, what an idiot!

    ReplyDelete